Thursday, June 8, 2017 at the Okaloosa Extension 3098 Airport Rd. Crestview, FL 32539
Educational Program Workshop
- This workshop is designed to provide training in Best Management Practices (BMPs) for anyone working in the lawn, landscape, pest control, or municipal grounds areas.
- The Best Management Practices are focused on reducing non-point source pollution resulting from fertilization or pesticide application.
- At the end of this training you will be given a post-test to determine knowledge learned. If the post-test is successfully completed, you will be mailed a Green Industries BMP certificate of completion.
- Some cities & counties require this certification before you can bid on jobs or have commercial customers.
- Be sure to turn in your post-test and your evaluation, by the end of the day.
- If you also need pesticide CEUs, get your signed CEU attendance form before you leave.
8:15 – 9:00 Introduction and Pre-test (45 minutes)
9:00 – 9:50 Overview – Green Industries BMPs for Protection of Water Resources (50 minutes) History, Background & Overview of the BMP Program & Local Ordinances. How to use the BMPs to protect water quality.
9:50 – 10:00 Break
10:00 – 11:20 Lawn and Landscape Cultural Practices and BMPs (80 minutes) Best Management Practices for healthy lawns and landscapes. Includes: mowing, pruning, fertilization & irrigation effects on water quality, plant health and ability to tolerate pest pressures.
11:20 – 11:30 Break
11:30 – 12:20 Irrigation BMPs (50 minutes) Irrigation Best Management Practices to conserve water, reduce disease & insect damage, and protect water quality. Irrigation BMPs include: irrigation requirements, design, installation, monitoring, troubleshooting and proper management of irrigation.
12:20 – 12:55 Lunch
12:55 – 1:45 Fertilizer BMPs (50 minutes) Fertilizer sources: comparisons and responses; application; and safety
1:45 – 1:55 Break
1:55 – 2:45 Pesticide BMPs (50 minutes) Licensing; environmental risk; use of IPM in a management program; pesticide selection, storage, handling & disposal.
2:45 – 3:00 Review
3:00 – 3:30 Post-Test, Evaluation and CEUs